Air Source

Cherished Victorian Home

Air Source Heat Pump Case Study
Cherished Victorian Home, Exeter

Cherished Victorian Home, Exeter

Clifton Terrace, provides an everyday example of how the popular gas-fuelled, British, mid-terrace home can be transformed into a remarkable, warm, low-carbon home. Richard Lowes, Research Fellow at the University of Exeter, with a passion for sustainable energy and energy policy expertise, decided to leverage his industry knowledge and fulfil his desires for utilising clean heat in his home.


This two-bed, Victorian solid-stone wall property underwent a dramatic renovation. This included a rear extension, new central heating system – which incorporated underfloor heating downstairs and a full radiator circuit upstairs – and fabric efficiency upgrades where possible, such as behind the new plasterboard.

The new heating system, as a result, is cleverly split into two temperature zones, with independent heating controls used for both floors. This, alongside a 200L hot water cylinder, with an additional heating buffer vessel, maximises the consumption of electricity during times of low grid demand, for heating water during the cheapest periods, and warming only the most necessary parts of the property.

The Results

Installing the NIBE F2040-6 ASHP came alongside a solar PV array, which, in combination, produces seasonally variable, yet astounding results. Comparing the ASHPs consumption with the PVs contribution across the year, solar generates 95% of the electricity the ASHP consumes. Due to the time of day the ASHP is active and solar PV is generating, combined with seasonal variability, 24% of electricity generated from the solar array is consumed by the ASHP, leaving 76% of the consumption being fed by the grid.

Matching times of peak solar generation with hot water demands or ASHP usage is a no-regrets-solution for increasing the proportion of ‘free’ energy used for the water and home heating demands. This, combined with insulation and energy efficiency upgrades, has saved Richard significant sums on his yearly energy bills, and decarbonised his cherished property.


Richard commented; “I chose to remove the gas from this terraced house which we were fully renovating and extending. The system has been totally reliable and the house always at a warm and stable temperature. The heating is based on radiators upstairs and we have underfloor downstairs; my only regret is not adding underfloor everywhere. With all of the works and excellent performance, bills are lower than the gas heating before. We optimise the system using off-peak electricity for hot water production and also maximising hot water when it's sunny as the house also has solar panels.”

NIBE Case Studies

More Case Studiesesc